Construction of the permanent United Nations headquarters building in New York started in 1948, and it was inaugurated in February 1952. The complex is located in Manhattan, overlooking the East River, on First Avenue between East 42nd and 48th Streets, located on 17 acres of land donated by the Rockefeller family. The USA financed it by providing an one billion 2015 dollars interest-free loan.